It is Pi day and that means another one of my vegan pie recipes. This time I am making a really tasty Key Lime Pie that is as traditional of a Key West key lime pie as I can make it while still being vegan!
“Chee Zee Beach, Beachfront Celebration ” Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
Key Lime Pie - Pi day 2018
Servings 8 pieces
graham cracker crust
- 1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs vegan
- 1 tablespoon Frangelico
- 1/4 cup sugar vegan
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1:1 ceylon and saigon
- 1/4 cup earth balance stick melted
- 1/8 teaspoon mediterranean sea salt
Key lime filling
- 1 can sweetened condensed coconut milk 14 ounce
- 2/3 cup key lime juice fresh squeezed
- 2 teaspoons key lime zest
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted cashews soaked overnight
- 1/4 teaspoon mediterranean sea salt
- 2 tablespoons agar agar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 recipe vegan whipped cream Add 1/2 teaspoon key lime zest https://thefatveganchef.com/recipe/vegan-whipped-cream/
Make the graham cracker crust
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, sea salt, sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle with the melted butter and frangelico and stir until well combined. Press the mixture evenly onto the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch glass pie plate. Bake 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Leave the oven on.
Make the key lime filling
- In a bowl put 2 T agar, 2 T cold water and whip with mixer, place in fridge.
- Place cashews, lime juice, zest, and salt in blender and blend until cashews are creamy. Add in the sweetened condensed coconut milk and blend until fully mixed. Do the same for the agar. Gently spread the mixture in the pre-baked crust and bake 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool overnight.
- While cooling make the whipped cream. Cut the pie in 8 pieces, serve on a plate, garnish with the whipped cream, a key lime wedge, and some key lime zest.