Today I will be making a popular Peruvian dish that I have veganised. Arroz Tapado. It is a dish traditionally made with meat, eggs, and vegetables sandwiched in between rice. Watch as I use some alternative ingredients to make it vegan and still make it tasty.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
|Passive Time||40 minutes|
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 each red bell pepper diced
- 1 each scallion sliced thin
- 1 each carrot diced
- 1 each potato diced small
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup green peas frozen
- 1/2 cup corn frozen
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 bunch cilantro minced, plus some leaves for garnish
- 2 tablespooons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon aji amarillo paste use more if you want it hotter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 package ground beef substitute like Beyond Meat
- taste sea salt ~ 1/2 teaspoon
- taste black pepper ~ 1 teaspoon
- Peruvian first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil I used Picual
- Soak rice for 20 minutes. Drain and then put in a pot with water. You can add a pinch or two or salt if you want. Cover and bring to boil. Once boiling turn heat down to simmer and cook according to package (40-45 minutes). Do not remove lid during this time. Once finished remove from heat, stir, and set aside. Also while rice is cooking, prepare the rest of the dish.
- Break up the tofu into cubes, heat olive oil in a saute pan, Once hot add the tofu and turmeric. Saute until the tofu starts to turn brown, remove from pan, drain and set aside.
- Heat large saute pan. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil. Once olive oil is hot add the red onion, bell pepper, scallion, tofu, carrot, and potato. Cook until the onion is translucent. Stirring often.
- Once the onion is translucent add the garlic, peas, corn, tomato paste, cilantro, aji amarillo paste, cumin, beef substitute, salt and pepper. Cook for another 5-10 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through. Stirring often.
- Now we will assemble the arroz tapado. Take a bowl and line it with plastic wrap. Add a couple of leaves of cilantro to garnish. Next carefully add some of the rice and press into the bowl so it forms the shape of the bowl. Next add a layer of the filling mix, pressing this so it stays together. Finish by adding some more rice to the bowl, still pressing so everything forms together.
- Now put a plate on top of the bowl and flip the plate and bowl over. Hold down the plastic wrap and carefully lift the bowl out of the plastic. Next take off the plastic wrap. If everything was done right you should have a nice round mound. Next drizzle the mound with the good extra virgin olive oil and then repeat so you have four total dishes.